I read pretty much any chance I get. I mostly read YA books but some adult ones as well. To me all books are precious gems and are meant to be treasured.



Thursday, July 14, 2011

Review: The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan:




Release Date:  April 10, 2009
Publisher:  Random House
Reading Level: Young Adult
Pages:  320
Type:  Hardcover
Source:  Library


In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth.

But, slowly Mary's truths are failing her. She's learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future- between the one she loves, and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?

-- Goodreads Description


I actually finished this book last week, but it took me some time to figure out what I was going to rate it. Ok before anyone who really loved this book throws darts at me, let me explain. I really did enjoy the concept and the story. However it was a little hard to digest. Not because it was boring or hard to follow, but because of the amount of emotion it brought out in me.

The world in which Carrie Ryan created was so vivid to me I felt that if I closed my eyes I could see the endless forest, and fences. I could hear the moans and scrapings of the Unconsecrated. It sent chills up and down my spine. Also the characters were so real to me. I could almost feel their fear and pain. This is what made it a harder read, and it took longer to finish then most of the books I read. It is a darker book then I am used to reading, and I cried like a baby at certain parts.

I absolutely loved Mary. She is such a strong character and survivor. She pushes and pushes and never gives up. At times she may seem a bit selfish, but its what drives her and keeps her alive. Though she has been through so much she stays strong and keeps hope in her heart. It is that hope and determination that keeps her going even in the darkest of times.

All in all if you love a book that teaches you about life, love, loss, and the strong will to survive this is the book for you. It was my first zombie book, and though it was a harder more emotional read I would recommend it to everyone.

Overall Rating: C+

3 comments:

  1. I haven't read many zombie books but I've heard this is a great series. I can see how it would take a little longer to finish, the super emotional, darker reads always take me longer to get through because I often have to get up and walk away:) Nice review Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can you give a book a C plus that causes you to feel so much? Isn't that one of the main reasons we read?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous if you look at how I rate my books then you would understand. I really liked the book it was just a harder read for me. So that is why I rated it what I did. That is why i mention people loving it not to throw darts at me. I explained all of this. Thanks for your comment though.

    ReplyDelete