I read pretty much any chance I get. I mostly read YA books but some adult ones as well. To me all books are precious gems and are meant to be treasured.



Monday, June 27, 2011

Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs

 

Release Date:  June 1, 2010
Publisher:  Katherine Tegen Books
Reading Level:  Young Adult
Pages:  293
Type:  Hardcover
Source:  Library checkout

Lily Sanderson has a secret, and it's not that she has a huge crush on gorgeous swimming god Brody Bennett, who makes her heart beat flipper-fast. Unrequited love is hard enough when you're a normal teenage girl, but when you're half human, half mermaid, like Lily, there's no such thing as a simple crush.

Lily's mermaid identity is a secret that can't get out, since she's not just any mermaid- she's a Thalassinian princess. When Lily found out three years ago that her mother was actually a human, she finally realized why she didn't feel quite at home in Thalassinia, and she's been living on land and going to Seaview High School ever since, hoping to find where she truly belongs. Sure, land has its problems- like her obnoxious biker-boy neighbor Quince Fletcher- but it has that once major perk, Brody. The problem is, mermaids aren't really the casual dating type- the instant they "bond" it's for life.

When Lily's attempt to win Brody's love leads to a tsunami- sized case of mistaken identity, she is in for a tidal wave of relationship drama, and she finds out quick as a tailfin flick, that happily ever after never sails quite smoothly as you planned.

--Inside Sleeve Description

Move over Ariel! There is a new mer-princess in town !!
Ok so this is the first book about mermaids I have read since I was real little, and I was totally missing out. This book was so vivid in its imagery I could picture myself in Thalassinia. I love how Tera Lynn Childs' mind works. She came up with this whole other world and way of life down to every detail. Even a whole other language with fishy terminology!

At first the fishy terminology was a little much, and it took me a little while to really get into the story, but once I did I couldn't put it down. As I was reading though I was yelling at Lily the whole time. She is so blind and naive I wanted to slap her! Ok not really, she's sweet, but she drove me crazy. She is in love with this guy named Brody, and has been for three years. He is one of the reasons she is on land in the first place. However, he doesn’t even notice her; not really, not until she acts like she is with someone else. I was like he is not worth your love or your devotion!

Then there's Quince, ok so he drives her crazy, and is at times annoying, but he gives her attention. Sometimes to much attention, and don't boys pick on girls they like? Plus love is supposed to drive you crazy. Its supposed to rile you up, and be passionate. She is just to blind to see what's in front of her. Ok so I'm a little bias towards Quince. He reminds me a lot of my husband; blonde hair, blue eyes, is cocky and annoying, and I totally love him! To be honest I hated him at first. He drove me nuts in high school.

All in all Lily is forced to face the truth when a kiss changes her world completely. I was still yelling at her right up to the end. In the end, things work out for the best. Not quiet the ending I was hoping for, but it is a good one. Looking forward to what comes next in Fins are Forever. Release Date: June 28th 2011

Overall Rating: B

1 comment:

  1. new follower! [:

    Great review! I've been thinking about picking this up so it is great to read another review of it.

    new blogger as well, stop by if you get a chance: http://letsevaluate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete