I read pretty much any chance I get. I mostly read YA books but some adult ones as well. To me all books are precious gems and are meant to be treasured.



Monday, November 14, 2011

Cover Love: Dystopian Edition


  This is a new meme where I share the love of some of my favorite covers.


Ok so I believe in the saying "Don't judge a book by its cover," at least when I am not talking about books. Let's face it most people, when it comes to books, pick up those books with the beautiful, intriguing, and unique covers. I know I do! I am a stickler for covers. I will normally not pick up a book that has a lame cover unless it is recommended to me.


So I decided to share this obsession....(cough).... I mean appreciation of beautiful cover art with you. This edition of Cover Love coincides with my self-proclaimed Dystopian Month. So all the titles mentioned are considered in some way dystopian. I hope you enjoy!






~ Eve & Once by Anna Carey
Both of these covers are very mysterious and beautiful. Even if I had not heard of these before they would draw me in. I also enjoy it when the covers in the series remain similar so they look good together on the shelves. Here they stick with the same lettering, and positioning of the girl on the front. I have not read this series yet and could be drawing the wrong conclusions from the covers, but in the first one the girl seems more scared and desperate.  She is staring of into the distance that isn't quite clear. In the second the colors are more vivid. She seems more aware of her surroundings, and she is looking at the end of the tunnel though she still can't see what lies at the end.

Once's release date: July 3, 2012





~ Divergent & Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Both of these covers are gorgeous. I was immediately intrigued when I saw the Divergent cover on its release date, and this was even before I knew anything about it. I love that the lettering, the pictures, and placements are similar. Even the sound of the book names go together. If I didn't know anything about these books my first impressions would be that they are about something supernatural and elemental. The first one is vivid in color, and looks bright and happy. Also there is a guy and girl on the front so maybe there is also some romance involved. The second one is quiet beautiful as well. Though the city is different, or maybe the same, but a different area. The colors are not as vivid and it either looks smoky or foggy. So maybe this book is more dark, or after a dark time when the future is not so clear.

Insurgent's Release Date: May 28, 2012





~ Matched & Crossed by Ally Condie
These covers are simple but beautiful. I love them, and the fact that the bubbles, clothing, and the titles match in color. The focus is on this girl, and it makes you ask yourself what is going on with her. In the first one she is trapped in this bubble and can't get out. So if I didn't know anything about this series, but the covers, I could conclude that in the first one this girl is trapped. Either in her world, or in a situation. In the second one she is taking charge and busting out of whatever held her captive.

Both Matched and Crossed are both available now.





~ Wither & Fever by Lauren Destafano
These covers are beautiful. I love the girl on the front. She is so beautiful and I love her expressions. Ok well I don't really like the lime green on Fever. I think it would have been better in hot pink. I do love how they kept the same lettering and circles. At first glance, and pretending I don't know anything about these books, I would say that the first one is darker based on the colors used. The girl seems very sad, and her clothes look withered. There is focus on a bird, and maybe that is a statement on freedom. Maybe she is trapped and wants to be free. The second one looks more bright and cheerful. Based on her clothes I would say she is in a better place. Her hair and makeup is done, and her dress is a lot nicer. Though her expression still seems pained like she might have some hard decisions to make.

Fever's Release Date: Feb. 21, 2012







~ Across the Universe & A Million Suns by Beth Revis
Both of these covers are absolutely beautiful. I love the colors, and the fact that they match. If I was looking at these covers, and knew nothing about the series, I would say the first one is about either star-crossed lovers, or about two people who find love out in space. The second one seems like the two are still in love, but they are searching for something. Maybe somewhere to live or settle? Its a bit hard to determine what these stories are about, but you defiantly know there is love and the beauty of space involved.


A Million Suns' Release Date: Jan. 10, 2012




Well those are some of my favorite dystopian covers. If you have some that aren't listed please share in the comments.







5 comments:

  1. I love all these follow ups :)
    Except Fever's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome choices chick!!!! I hadn't seen the cover for Once yet! EPIC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved seeing these in sets like this. Cool segment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh My Gosh, LOVE!!!!! I think Divergent and Insurgent are my favorite pair, I can't stop looking at those two:) Wither is probably my favorite individually, but Fever isn't quite as good. Maybe it's the green you don't really care for either. I love seeing series covers next to one another:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great picks! Matched & Cross are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete